Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Think Pink!


Start your day off right with a deliciously healthy smoothie. Forget going green; think pink! I slowly started to cut coffee out of my daily routine, either occasionally switching for tea or taking it with butter so I can cut out the sugar-- if you haven't had butter coffee you haven't lived, but be cautious as it is extremely addicting. Anyways, clearly I still love my coffee but now I'm making smoothies and I feel better than ever! I was that person you couldn't talk to before I've had my morning cup of jo, but now I'm way more energized and feeling more alert in the mornings. 


Strawberries are are a great source of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients. Frequent intake can also improve blood sugar regulation. They are also extremely perishable with a maximum shelf life of 2 days on average. They are still edible afterwards but you will no longer gain all of the packed nutrients, so you might as well throw them in a blender before they go bad. Strawberries are sweet, juicy and fragrant, and perfect when combined with blueberries. 

Blueberry, the superstar fruit! We all know about the health benefits of blueberries. Packed with a wide variety of antioxidant nutrients, they provide whole body support. New evidence even suggests that they can improve memory! And best of all, in the case of smoothies, they can be frozen without damaging their anthocyanin antioxidants.

And milk. It still surprises me how more people don't drink "whole milk" and prefer either 2%, 1% or non fat. There is an assumption that whole milk is fattening, but a better name in correlation to the other variations of milk would be calling it 3.5%. Milk does not contain that much fat to begin with and whole milk has about 30 more calories per cup than 2 percent. 2 percent, 1 percent, and nonfat are all processed by removing some fat content, making it less creamy. Whereas whole milk is, well, more whole. So you can continue to drink whichever you prefer but maybe the facts might help drive up the sales again, since they fell below 14 billion pounds last year. Okay, enough about that. 

I use 5 fresh strawberries, and a handful of blueberries (about half a cup) and 1/3 cup of whole milk. That's a total of roughly 93 calories! 

Make sure to freeze your blueberries because that's how you get that smooth, creamy texture. 

You can also add agave syrup or honey for a little more sweetness, but I like this just the way it is. 

Cheers!  












     

No comments:

Post a Comment