Tuesday, March 3, 2015

MUSSELS IN WHITE WINE

My dog, Handsome, and I look forward to Saturdays all week long because that's the one day we wake up with a routine--considering I'm incredibly restless and live a mostly unpredictable day-to-day lifestyle-- and take our mile long walk down to Little Italy's farmer's market. I pick up my staple items-- a pound of fresh mussels, a loaf of bread and goat cheese-- and an abundance of seasonal produce depending on what I plan on whipping up in my kitchen. It is important to me to support my community by buying locally and preserving our environment by buying fresh. So yes, I have made a habit out of going to the Farmer's Market.

I come home and the first thing I whip up are these fabulous mussels. This is so easy to make and it's ready in no time-- like 10 minutes. My fiance loves them and it holds him over until the next course is ready to serve. Cheers!





















$6 lb of fresh mussels $1 loaf of fresh bread  = Winning


MUSSELS IN WHITE WINE

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/3 cup Pinot Gris/Grigio
1 lb mussels, debearded, scrubbed
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 lemon
1 baguette cut in diagonal slices; toasted


Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Melt in butter. Add shallots, season with salt and pepper, stirring often, cook until soft (about 2 minutes). Add garlic, cook until fragrant (about another minute). Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid has slightly reduced (about a minute more).

Add mussels and water to pot. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring once or twice, until mussels open (about 5 minutes). Discard any mussels that do not open.

Ladle mussels and broth into shallow bowls and garnish with chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with toasted baguette slices.

Recommended Wine: Pinot Gris/Grigio
Alternative Wine: Sauvignon Blanc


@allpurposeflower_


No comments:

Post a Comment