Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Impressive wines all under $20

Occasionally, my fiance and I have our sommelier (basically a wine expert) buddy come over for wine tastings. Mainly just to try out some fancy wine but also to train my palate. Today we tried wines from Spain, California, and Australia. Here's where I share my not-so-professional thoughts, yet still justified reviews. 


$11- Las Rocas de San Alejandro Garnacha Calatayud 2012 Product of Spain delivers what you would expect from a good Spanish wine. It rivals some of the wines I've had in Italy with cherry flavors that dance around in your mouth after taking a sip. 

$15- Sterling Vintner's Collection Pinot Noir 2013 from the Central Coast of California was classically silky and impressive. I enjoyed the cherry and vanilla flavors. For the affordable price, this is a brilliant wine.

$17 Earthworks Barossa Valley Shiraz 2012. I'm not typically a fan of Australian wines but I love a good a Shiraz, and I must admit I was impressed with this one. Full bodied with plum flavors and notes of vanilla.   


My sommelier agrees that being under 20 bucks, these wines are fantastic. 

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment